Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Childrens' story competition

Around two months back I participated in a story competition for children aged 1 to 3. The theme of the competition was 'New gender roles in the multicultural society'.
It was organised by Inclusive Works and its partners included British Council, Clavis Books, and FEBE support.
This week they announced their result in a small ceremony at Utrecht. All participating writers were invited. The number was around 300, but the attendees were a little less than 100 according to my estimation.
The competition was open to everyone. The story could be written in any language, as long as its English translation was sent along. This automatically made me assume that there would be a lot of contributions in different languages, and the ceremony would be English based to cater to the international audience.
However, my expectations turned out to be wrong as I found myself in a very Dutch environment. Both the winning stories were (one for the category of 1-3 years old, and the other for 4-6 years old) written by Dutch women, who were present at the ceremony.
I think that even though the project aimed at promoting multiculturalism, the Dutch jury did after all have a Dutch taste.
However, it was a nice purposeful effort, which I thoroughly enjoyed participating in and I hope these and other organisations continue with their endeavours.
http://www.inclusiveworks.eu/en-gb/ourexpertise/projects/childrensstories.aspx#.UUlyuRzFWVk


No comments:

Post a Comment