Friday, August 2, 2013

Ramadan 2013

The reason for being absent from my blog since the past month has been Ramadan. The whole schedule has been quite off, and I have often used my baby-free-writing-time to make up for my disturbed sleep.
I have always welcomed and enjoyed Ramadan and had vowed to write something about it at the start of the holy month, but this Ramadan was not very easy on me.
Unfortunately, Ramadan this year coincided with the very hot summers in Netherlands. As the temperatures soared and people enjoyed the sun to the fullest, we Muslims found ourselves at a loss of ideas on how to combat the summer heat while fasting.
Fasting hours were from 3am till 10pm. Surprisingly, to manage 19 hours without food is not as a big deal as it sounds, but to manage all this time without a sip of water can be hard in this heat.
The most challenging part for me in this Ramadan has been to combat my boredom. If I planned to go out, I was afraid of getting too tired or too thirsty. If I stayed home instead, Mr Baby and I both got exhausted by boredom.
For the first few days I managed to overcome my boredom by thinking about what to make for Iftar and then spending the last three hours of the day in the kitchen preparing some yummy delicacies.
However, after the 20th of Ramadan I felt my taste buds had died a bit. Other fasting colleagues have also agreed to this dilemma. We really don't feel like eating anything.
The coming years of Ramadan will be the same or harder. Tempers have risen, and patience has drowned taking along the essence of this month with it. It is not just about leaving food and drink, but about getting close to our spiritual self.
May God forgive us for our negligence and reward us for the little that we have done. Ameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment