Monday, July 1, 2013

Too short to drive?

Today was the big day of the big exam. A test to how well have I learned to drive in the last five months and 25 lessons. Well the answer was not good enough.
I failed the test, I know my mistakes, the same mistakes that I was making in my lessons. The point which made the examiner's decision very easy was when I started to change a lane without looking properly while a car was coming form behind. A major blunder I know, which I made because I got distracted by my gears. That's why I have always been a fan of automatic cars, because I just hate changing gears.
Another sad part was that even though my parking skills are very good by now, when the examiner told me to find a spot to park I kind of panicked. I was taking too long to find a spot and when I did I couldn't park there properly.
I know that I can pass the exam if I try again. I know I need more practice. My instructor thinks I need to focus more, I don't know how I can focus more than I already do.
However, this was all normal and expected.
Now let me come to the unexpected and strange part of the exam.
The examiner was not an old man with glasses like I expected, it was a young woman. The first comment she made to me while I sat in the car was on my height. I told her that I have no problem driving the car and car reach the clutch and the break easily after adjusting my seat.
However, the examiner was not satisfied and took me to a special test to see if I can break hard enough to enable the ABS. She was again not satisfied at how I performed. I have never been taught to break hard and obviously was a bit hesitant in breaking with full power. However, the examiner looked at me and said “Is this all the power you have?”
After the exam she told me that she is putting me up for a special medical needs test because of my short height. My examiner politely suggested that I can just use an extra cushion on the driving seat, but obviously the examiner had other plans for me. 
I left the exam center in silence and shock. My instructor was surprised. He said he was quite curious to know what kind of a medical test I am going to have.
Can the CBR actually tell me that I am too short to drive or only able to drive certain kind of small cars. I wonder. And if they say I am fit to drive any car, then why the need to do this test in the first place?
I don't know whether to laugh on this matter or cry or scream. But again I am regretting my decision to try to get a driving license here in the Netherlands. One part of me wants to quit now, but the other part says that I have come too close to quit now. 
Let's wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment