Saturday, July 21, 2012

Ramadan 2012


This is going to be my second Ramadan in Amsterdam, but the first one that I am actually going to observe.
Last year because of my pregnancy I avoided the long fasts and paid fidya instead. Fidya is the money you pay someone else to fast in case you are unable to do so because of sickness or travel. Pregnant and nursing women are also allowed to do this.
This year I was also sceptical about whether I would be able to observe the 18 hours long fasts while breastfeeding my baby. However, I decided I would give it a try.
By the grace of God, yesterday the first Ramadan passed without any difficulty. I carried on with all my daily tasks, nursed my baby and just felt a normal amoount of thirst and tiredness.
This made me realise that fasting in Ramadan is a special thing. If in any other month I would be hugry for even a few hours my head would start hurting and I would feel like I am going to dye of hunger. But in this Holy month, Allah gives us the strength to be hungry and thirsty for the whole day. Our energy for this month does not come through food, rather prayer and faith acts as a fuel for our bodies and souls in Ramadan.
I am excited that this year I would be able to keep all my fasts. Inshallah!

No comments:

Post a Comment