Saturday, July 21, 2012

The story of the highchair

It is quite unfortunate, that S and I have had quarrels about almost every baby item we had bought. We never seemed to agree on anything and always blamed each other if we were not happy with the purchase.
Well, most of the damage was done - the pram, the bouncer and the carrier were things of the past, but we still had a chance to ammend our mistake. There was still one important baby product left to buy. I was hoping that maybe on this one we would agree and finally enjoy a purchase together.
But, alas, that joy remains a dream. The high chair, like all other baby products became a point of quarrel and distress. With me looking at the best high end brands, and S insisting on not wasting money. He called me wasteful and spendthrift and I called him stingy and miser. I am sure later we both regreted our words, being mean to each other just for a stupid chair.
We ended up with the cheapest option available. The simple and famous IKEA chair for only 12 euros, and even on that you get 5 cents back! S promised me that he will buy me a better one, and I should use this just as a temporary solution for weaning. But as I placed my baby in the chair and fed him, I realised how stupid we are to fight over things that the baby is going to use, while the baby is not even concerned with the product. He really doesn't care whether he sits in his walker, his bouncer or even in my lap, as long as he gets new things in his mouth. The high chair is just a convenience for the mother. I still think it is important to invest in a good quality product that you are happy using and that is safe and durable, but not at the cost of mean, heated arguments.

No comments:

Post a Comment