Sunday, May 6, 2012

Broken sleep

For the first two months of his life my baby had an enviable sleeping pattern. I was one of those lucky parents whose children actually sleep at night and wake up for a feed only once or twice. I used to put him in his cot in his own room, and sleep peacefully for at least five, six hours straight.
However, since he reached his 3 month birthday my life story has completely changed. He still sleeps at night (thankfully) but only to wake up after every two hours. As an example last night he went to sleep at 9. Then waking up times were 11:30, 2:30, 4:30, 6:00 and then finally at 7 when he was fresh and ready to start his day.
When he first started waking up more often at night I thought something was wrong with him. Stomach ache? Teething? Growth spurt? We were considering everything. I kept reading and asking the possible causes and soluutions to this damaged sleeping pattern. Since getting up from bed every two hours and going to the other room was getting too tiring I decided the baby should sleep next to me for some relief. Still, not used to this new regime I was greatly sleep deprived, compensating for my lost sleep on the weekends, when hubby was kind enough to look after him.
I tried everything from evening baths to top up bottle feeds, but now I have given up. I have realised that no matter what I do he will sleep and wake as he wills. The most I can do is hope this is just a phase he will soon grow out of, and by that time I would just get used to this broken sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment