Sunday, May 13, 2012

Fijne Moederdag (Happy Mother's Day)

Two months ago my mother-in-law was wished happy mother's day by her son in England. She was a bit disappointed that we didn't wish her the same, but we explained that its not Mother's Day in Netherlands yet.
Two days ago my mother texted me a pic of herself and my sister in a restaurant with the caption 'Celebrating Mother's Day'. I again replied back saying that it wasn't Mother's Day here yet.
Finally, today its Mother's Day in Netherlands. Though the preparations had begun weeks ago, today is the day to finally celebrate it. Every shop had advertised a special offer in relation with Mother's Day - discounted perfume and gift sets, spa vouchers, lunch and dinner treats, there are various ways in which you can make your mother feel special on this day.
Mother's Day stopped exciting me the year I was separated from my mother. I think the first year I did send her a card, but I can't remember if she recieved it or not. When I was with my mother I used to give her a little something on every occassion - Mother's Day, birthdays, anniversaries. Now my younger sister has taken over the duty of pampering our mother with gifts. I, on the other hand give her a gift only once a year when we meet, and that gift is supposed to compensate for all the missed occassions throughout the year.
This Mother's Day would have come and gone for me in the same way if I hadn't realised that now Mother's Day has a new meaning for me. From this year onwards I sit on the receiving end at Mother's Day too. Even though my son is too young to give me anything on this occassion, that doesn't stop me from wishing myself a Fijne Moederdag.

No comments:

Post a Comment